Wednesday, March 31, 2010

In Memory of Steve "Skip" Mesquite

In memory of Steve “Skip” Mesquite, HornDrivenRadio.com has three songs that were written or co-written by Skip in its current rotation. The songs are Gone, Sparkling In The Sand both songs were recorded by Tower of Power, including Skips excellent flute work on Sparkling. The last song Mahdi (The Expected One), is a song co-written by Greg Adams and is featured on Greg’s CD Hidden Agenda.

With David Garibaldi's permission we would like to share what David recently “Twittered” about Skip.

"Hey folks...greets from Detroit. A very busy 3 weeks since my last tweet. Many miles and many things have come and gone. The most significant is the passing of my dear friend, Skip Mesquite. He was one of the most gentle people I've ever known. We experienced many things together. He and Mic Gillette brought me into the TOP. It was in the spring of 1970 when we met. He leaves behind a beautiful family and many, many friends...he was loved by all of us. This is tough, and I'm not very good at eulogizing. I will say that Skip was a man who I trusted 100% and was a man of his word. He was a great husband, and father, a supreme friend with a wicked sense of humor. He was a man of unwavering faith who encouraged me in many ways. In all the years we knew each other, I never heard him complain about anything. He was creative, was an excellent musician and band mate he loved baseball and stupid jokes. He was a proud grandfather. He was one of a kind. I loved him and will miss him for a very long time. He and his saxophone are now awaiting the Lord's return...rest in peace my friend".