Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Santa Fe & The Fat City Horns Return to the Palm.

I had been sitting at home all weekend with a nasty sinus cold, not feeling well at all. Monday I was still feeling down in the dumps but I decided to get off my butt and go check out Santa Fe & The Fat City Horns for their first night back at the Palms. I need what Jerry Lopez (Santa Fe’s band leader) calls “A Healing”. I went to the show (with my son and a friend) early not sure of what to expect, since there is now a cover charge of $7.00 to see the band. Yes, that’s right, a cover charge of $7.00 dollars to see one of the best bands anywhere, pretty inexpensive in my book. Getting there early paid off as we ended up getting seats right up front.

As we were sitting there, I noticed that most of the horn section was going to be subs. As it turns out only two of the six member horn section were regulars. A highlight however was that one of subs was none other than Brandon Fields. Brandon often sits in with Santa Fe, but I have never seen him sit in for an entire show, much less as a sub. Well needles to say the horn section was firing on all cylinders, as was the rest of the band. Some excellent solo work was provided by the “The Subs” as well. In spite of nearly a two month break the band didn’t miss a beat. I think the band may have been just as glad to be playing together as the audience was, the guys were very animated, and once again the musicianship was spot on. It really amazes my how deep the talent here is in Las Vegas, when you can virtually swap out an entire horn section, yet the sound remains the same.

As for the $7.00 cover, well it didn’t seem to bother anyone. The house was packed, so much so, that the curtains into the room were shut, meaning all the seating was gone.

To Jerry and the rest of Santa Fe, I guess the “Healing” thing really works, I’m feeling better today than I have in last ten days. Not only is there spiritual healing going on, but a physical one as well.

Photo of Brandon Fields, Courtesy of Bobby Gladd

For more info on Santa Fe & The Fat City Horns go to http://www.santafeband.com/ or
http://www.%20santafeandthefatcityhorns.blogspot.com/